Congrats to everyone taking on the Yeti this year in the 7th annual Expedition Everest Challenge! The EEC is definitely a unique runDisney experience- a night time 5k through Animal Kingdom with obstacles and a scavenger hunt.
Speaking of night races, let's talk about the pros and cons of participating in one. My absolute favorite runDisney race happens to be a night race, but there are definitely many things to weigh when you decide to run one. Here are a few of my top pros and cons about them:
- No early Disney Race wake-up call! If you've ever run a runDisney race, you know those 3AM wakeup calls can be worse than the actual race. Night races take care of that problem!
- You can fly in the morning of the race and save that extra vacation day for after the race. That might be cutting it close for some, but it sounds really appealing to me.
- Post race parties are always fun! All of runDisney's night races have post race parties. The Tower of Terror 10miler ends in Hollywood Studios and The Wine and Dine Half Marathon ends in Epcot. During EEC, you get to see Animal Kingdom at night! Animal Kingdom is the only park that usually closes before dark and it's a rare occasion you get to be there after the sun goes down, so I think that's a pretty big PRO if you've never had the pleasure of seeing The Tree of Life lit up.
- Longer night races can be a problem for people not used to running late and having earlier bed times. Personally, that's usually me but I make exceptions. Most of runDisney's night races don't start until 10PM- that's crazy late, in my opinion. Not to worry, though! EEC is a 5k followed by a giant scavenger hunt through Animal Kingdom.
- Nutrition and eating the day of the race can be tricky. I try to make my lunch the biggest meal, and then bring along a small snack (Clifbars are my usual pre-race breakfast and work perfectly for me) while I wait for the race to start.
- There may not be the normal runDisney wakeup call, but there will be a lot of sitting in a parking lot for a longggggg time. If you didn't already know, Disney likes you to get to their races early. But the positive side is, there's always entertainment while you wait! Bring a trash bag to sit on and enjoy the pre-race excitement!
With that said, I think the Expedition Everest 5k and Scavenger Hunt is a great unique runDisney experience. It really does have the potential to be a must-do, and I hear they did a ton to improve the race experience since we did it. I understand that it's hard to justify a race-cation for just a 5k, but it's one you don't want to miss. If you have the opportunity to participate, I highly suggest taking it!
Want more information about The Expedition Everest Challenge?
Hop on over and check out other blogs!