Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Volunteer= another word for an injured runner.

I dislike being injured. When my coach told me that's what I was and we were going to walk this weekend, I did not believe her and was not a happy camper. She was right, though. My hip flexor is still upset with me for last Sunday's half marathon. I just hope it gets over it very quickly. I have a calendar full. It needs to get with the program.

That was also the first time I did any physical activity since the race. I took the entire week off. I don't know how I managed. I was so bored. By Tuesday, I was itching to go to practice, but seeing as it was the first day I could walk without a fancy stagger or limp, I thought better of it and waited until the weekend.

There was a 4 mile race and a 15K on Sunday that I really wanted to sign up for. I think the Universe knew better. They were both full, so I volunteered. (In order to have automatic entry into the NYC Marathon, you have to be a member of NYRR by January -check–, run 9 of their events in a year- 7 more!-, and volunteer to work one of their races- check. Not saying I will actually decide to run the NYC Marathon, but it's better to be safe than sorry, right?) I thought it would be a fun and it was, along with the added bonus of cute runner guys working, too. I figured out how to find them- check!

But the volunteering was an awesome experience, regardless. We just had to stand on the course (remind me never to sign up on a day there is multiple races and in freezing weather, for that matter. I had on all my winter Under Armor gear and 2 extra layers. I was still a popsicle after standing for 4 hours) and make sure the runners stayed in the race lane, call the emergency line if someone got hurt and to cheer them on. The runners were awesome. I always try to tell as many volunteers thank you as I can as I'm running and being a volunteer, I can now see that really makes a difference. I had a bunch of runners high five me and when I told them they were looking good, they'd say "So are you!" (mostly it was the older men, but hey! I will take what I can get). It's really easy to make me happy. 

This week, I am back on track. And I will take it slow, even if it annoys the hell out of me (I'm slow enough already, people!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment