Sunday, November 18, 2012

NYC 60K: Volunteering

If you ever want to be super inspired, volunteer for an Ultra.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of cheering on some badass runners for NYC's only official Ultra- The NYC 60K (formerly known as The Knickerbocker 60k). This race consists of 9 (!!!) loops of the middle loop of Central Park making up the roughly 37 mile race. What?! Yes. It's for real and it's pretty damn awesome. I was informed there was around 400 runners who showed up that morning. The race started at 8am, and when my shift started around 12:30pm, most runners were about 75% done. The winner had finished with around an 8 min mile pace; just to compare, marathon winners' paces are around 4 min miles. 

The energy was a lot different than the last time I was in the park. A whole lot of tourists and a small amount of runners. There weren't that many cheering stations, but that didn't matter. These runners were having a blast! They didn't need all that. They interacted with us and always always had a smile on their face. It was quite inspiring. I made sure to clap every time a runner came by (which of course got fewer and fewer as the time went on) because I know how much the encouragement means to me, so I was all about it! 


I love this super clever design! Can you see why?!
Being a slow runner, I could relate to these runners on the level of trying to weave through a crowded park with little to no support. It's annoying when random tourists get in your way, especially when you've already banked a good number of miles. When runners were coming sporadically and by themselves, I made sure to yell at people when they were getting in the way because honestly, I'd want someone to do it for me. I was stationed at a crosswalk so it happened a lot. I got a few looks for it, but hey! welcome to New York! Get it together and walk with a purpose or go back to [insert random state here]. It was super annoying to answer lost tourists questions, too. Really?! So, I made sure if I saw a runner coming, I'd stop talking and clap and cheer because that was my job- not to tell you how to get to the Met. UGH! And don't even get me started on the cyclists. Holy F-ing douchebags, Batman! WoW. Usually when I'm running, I ignore them or can't hear them. But standing in a crosswalk, they were totally asshats to people. Now don't get me wrong, tourists are definitely our common enemy, but it's not cool to zip through a crowded park on a Saturday afternoon like you're Lance Armstrong. Do that early in the morning when no one is around. Anyway. End rant.

I'm really glad this was the race I decided to volunteer for. I don't think it would've been the same at a run of the mill 4 miler, but that might just be me. Ultra runners just seemed so much happier and more grateful especially to volunteers. Besides always acknowledging me, they all made sure to thank me for the support on their last lap. How great was that?

In case you're in the market for winter volunteering: 

- Definitely layer. I wore my winter running gear under my clothes. In the beginning of the shift, I noticed I was a tad overdressed with my double pants, 3 shirts, a hoodie and a coat. And by tad, I mean I was sweating my ass off in the sun. But as the shift went on, I was very thankful for my layers and I even open my toe-warmers and stuck them in my shoes.

- Bring a bag. That definitely comes in handy. It can keep water, snacks and the shirt they will give you.

- Know where the bathrooms are! But if you run in the area (i.e. Central Park) you should already know where they are. I refuse to use a portapotty unless I'm running.

- Sunscreen! Even though it's cold, you'll still be outside for an extended period of time. Protect yourself!


What was your favorite volunteering experience?

14 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! I didn't know NYRR had an ultra! Of course, I live on the other side of the country, so I guess that makes sense. Do you think you'll ever run it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out about it last year when I didn't even want to attempt a marathon. 4 loops around the park is still crazy to me, let alone 9! That's too hilly for me. I will be more than happy to volunteer every year though!

      Delete
  2. The one thing I've learned since running in races myself is all the stupid crap not to say. My youngest is a cross country runner & I am in the habit of telling her & the other girls "you're almost done" when they are like on mile 2.5 of 3.1. Or "don't let her catch you" or "catch her, you can do it" when the other girls is like 20 steps ahead. I swear I almost punched someone during my last race that told me I was almost done at the 2 mile mark! Now I just encourage them by telling them great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I volunteered at a race once and I said "You're almost there" (bc I was about .5 away from the finish line)- I got a lot of "NO WE'RE NOT!". Learned my lesson on that one ;)

      I like to say Good Job, or you're looking great!/ you're making it look easy. Something I'd like to hear you know?

      Delete
    2. Love it! I find that when I'm running if anyone tells me I'm almost done I immediately get pissed off because I know then that I'm not. If I was almost done I'd be seeing the finish line, dammit! ;)

      At Boston I was .1 from the finish line ... I just keep yelling at everyone how awesome they were. I mean it was 111 degrees outside and they were 26.1 miles done - they were freaking awesome!

      Delete
    3. Exactly!

      I think Boston is on par as to how awesome these ultras and the energy was.

      Delete
  3. Great race recap. I know all those Ultra Runners appreciated the support. I find seasoned long distance runners to be the most appreciative of support on-course. They are most aware of what is provided by those volunteers. My favorite races I do every year are a couple "double-loop" marathons. By the time I pass certain volunteers the second time late in the race, I've established a rapport with them and they are even more supportive when cheering or joking with me. My favorite line was "I tried to warn you 22 miles ago."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Love it! That's exactly what happened with these runners. They'd say "I get to see you 2 more times!" or something. It was cute and kept it fun and interesting.

      Delete
  4. Love this post! I didn't know NYC had an ultra—how cool is that? I think Fred is right about the more experienced runners (and probably most running an ultra would fall into that category) being the most appreciative. I always make a point to thank the people working aid stations and cheering, since working an aid station is work, after all! Glad you had a positive experience, and thanks for the great tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?!

      I agree about the more seasoned runner, but I don't think faster (short distance) runners who have never been a middle/ back of the pack runner can truly appreciate the lone volunteers who are still there when everyone else has left.

      No prob! Glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome!! It sounds like such a great experience. I need to volunteer at more races. I always appreciate the volunteers and it is nice to be able to give back. Love that you were yelling at the tourists to get out of the way! I hate when people are so oblivious and I would definitely want someone to do the same for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you! If I didn't have to volunteer for my +1 guarantee entry to NYCM, I'M sure I'd forget- unless I was injured, which is what happened last year.

      Right?! That is one of my pet peeves about being a slow runner. I was happy to do it. I had an excuse to :)

      Delete
  6. but hey! welcome to New York! Get your shit together and walk with a purpose or go back to [insert random state here].

    And don't even get me started on the cyclists. Holy F-ing douchebags,


    Two best parts of this whole post!!!!!
    I should volunteer. Maybe that would give me my sparkle back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Maybe you should! It was pretty inspiring. Getting to yell at tourists was just an added bonus!

      :)

      Delete