Wednesday, July 3, 2013

WoW: Ice Bath recovery

aka The ICE BATH!
It's about that time in training; I can't wait! 
 
I know, I know. I'm a weirdo, but I swear by them. I am able to bounce back so much faster than if I wouldn't have. Don't worry, I didn't love them at first but I have definitely grown to appreciate all the good things it does for my body. Now, I even start to look forward to them when I have about a mile or 2 left in my long run or when I'm really hurting.

A few tips:

-Put the ice in AFTER you get in and the more the better. Fill the tub with cold water, get in and then add the ice. I usually get 2-3 bags of ice from the bodega before I come in to the apartment, or if I'm in a hotel, I bring a heavy duty plastic bag (Or just my runDisney bag check bag ;) and fill 2 of those.

- Wear a sweatshirt/ long sleeved shirt. I roll mine up so the bottom doesn't get in the water. I also usually just get in with my running clothes on, too, depending on my mood. I'd also suggest remembering to keep your socks on. My feet and toes get wayyy too cold without the socks and it's really painful.

- Bring some tea/ coffee in there with you. It will warm your insides. 

Do you have any tips to add?

6 comments:

  1. Great advice, Abby! I've never been one to do a lot of icing until Goofy. I rever realized what a huge difference it makes! I grabbed multiple bags of ice after the half and my legs felt great the next morning. I definitely need to be better about icing. Thanks for the tips!

    How long do you normally stay in there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's crazy the difference.

      I put a timer for 20 minutes, but I've heard anywhere from 5-20 minutes. I guess it depends on your threshold.

      Delete
  2. I hate em but I love em so much! Definitely a big key to recovery for me. My best tip is to get into the tub while it is filling and then it doesn't feel like as much of a shock as jumping into a tub already full of cold water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikki! I totally took your advice and did that this weekend. I agree! Not as big of a shock :)

      Delete
  3. I have never taken an ice bath! I'm too wimpy for that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me about a year of running before I got up the nerve (and tired of injuries), but it's definitely worth it and you get used to them.

      Delete