Sunday, June 24, 2012

NYRR Pride Run 5M 2012

I had been looking forward to running this race since last year. Granted, I was in Seattle setting my PR, but it still would've been nice. Last year's race had a bit more of a celebration- it happened the day after New York State made it legal for everyone to get married- but this year it was still really fun. Being that pride is very near and dear to my heart, how could it not be? ;-)

I liked that the race started at 102. That meant I didn't have to take a train. I walked to the start and didn't check a bag for the 1st time. I miscalculated how long it would take me and I was there super early, but it was ok. I stretched a lot. My right quad had been giving me trouble (who knew you should be stretching even when you're not running a ton otherwise you freak your muscle out when you start running again? My better half, that's who! And I don't think I'll ever live it down
:-) 

I have never seen so many Front Runners at a race before. It was pretty awesome. I didn't realize how big they were either. One day I'm going to get off my ass and join. How they run in Navy jerseys in the summer, I don't know. I was wearing a Navy shirt, too, and that was a bad bad plan.

It was hot. Granted, the rain on Friday had cooled it off a bit, it was still hot. I remembered very quickly to take 2 waters- 1 for drinking and 1 to pour on my head- at all water stops. I was drenched by the end of the 5 miles, but that's ok. There was a rainbow colored Popsicle waiting for me at the end and it was the best idea ever.

 Best. Idea. Ever.

And who's idea was it to put Harlem Hill during the 1st mile? That was painful. But I got through it. My Gymboss, however, did not.

RIP Gymboss.

To be honest, that little guy was a trooper. The clip has long broken off (due to too many runs in the rain) and I have been putting it in the shoulder of my bra. I guess it was too many sweaty runs. He still works, but the screen is dead. This little baby has gotten me through my entire running career. Never once had to change the batteries either.  I feel like I should bronze it like I want to with Inga (my 1st pair of running shoes).
A few of the tour cast of Avenue Q was at the finish line, too!

I wish I could've gone to the after-party at Boxers, but alas, my Saturday was fun filled with my other half who took the day off so we could go to the Mermaid Parade! Hope everyone had a good time and I can't wait for next year!

1 comment:

  1. JEALOUS!!!!!

    That is the perfect run for me! Maybe next year!?!

    ReplyDelete