Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Mermaid Parade 2012

 
Saturday was already fun filled enough with the Pride Run, but we decided to add even more by going to the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island.

I had always wanted to go, but never got around to it until this year (which also happened to fall the same weekend as Pride. Not cool, but oh well). So, after a shower and a sparkle skirt change (inspired by Ariel; green with a purple top) we stopped at Shake Shack on the way to the other end of the world, Coney Island (well, it is when you're coming from the UWS!).

Once we got there, it was packed. The few times I have been to Coney Island, there had never been this many people, ever. It felt like the entire city was jammed into the 4 block radius that is the "island" (which it's not btw).
We hung out for a while, then decided it would be fun to go to the Boardwalk (It was B's 1st time). Trying to cross the street provided to be an extremely frustrating process along with the hundreds of other people who wanted to also. For a city that puts on parade every other weekend, it still baffles me that they can't get their crowd control shit together. Pushing, Shoving, Insane mob-mentality with a bunch of native Brooklynites was enough for us to say "We were here" and bolt back to civilization.

A few days to contemplate and my suggestion is yes, if you get a chance, you should go. But if you don't want to be miserable the entire time here are some tips:

- The parade might start at 2:30, but it lasts for.ev.er, so the later you get there, the better. You won't miss anything, I promise. The 1st part is just the gazillion people walking it (as long as you're dressed up, you can walk in the parade, too!) and with the crowds 10 people deep, you won't be able to see anything anyway.And it's soooo crowded. At least when the parade is over (or close to) the crowd spaces itself out throughout the area.

- Eat before you go. It already took you at least an hour to get there, now it's going to take you another to cross the street to get to Nathan's, and then god knows how long to order. Trust me. Get the signature hotdog as a snack.

- Sunscreen. Sunscreen. Sunscreen. I reapplied every hour.

- Bring an umbrella. Did I mention it's sunny with no shade?! It really helps with keeping the sun off of you. I saw a lot of people with this smart idea, too. We brought one, but it was a huge golf sized umbrella (in case it rained) so I didn't want to bust that out with the crowd but when we did sit, I totally rocked it and it was amazing.

- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! Especially if you'll be drinking. I brought my Sigg bottle (when don't I have some sort of bottle with me though?) but we still bought Gatorade.
- Take lots of pictures! It's a riot, but nothing you wouldn't see at Mardi Gras.



Going, Going, Gone! Taken in order throughout our visit.
We were so ready to be back to civilization.

4 comments:

  1. This is certainly unique! Pretty much your life is like a movie to me.

    This reminds me, when I did my first CP back in 1997 we went to PI on our very first night there. I was so confused because I was there at PI - but never got on a boat. How did I get onto an island if there was no boat ride??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I thought the same thing about PI!

      Love it.

      I'm getting tired of telling you to come visit. Just do it.

      Delete
  2. Love the comment about sunscreen - the one and only time I went to Coney Island I was not as vigilant as I usually am about reapplying and my arms got ridiculously burned!! Of course the next day I had to go to a meeting - thank goodness I had brought a little jacket so no one could see my lobster colored arms as I was presenting! Ha! Anyway - the parade looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! That sounds about right for every time I go in the sun. But lately I've been getting better.

      You should definitely come in town for it!

      Delete