Monday, August 27, 2012

The Saturday 12 miler.

I was fully prepared and excited to write my post about my awesome 12 miler. . . but then a monstrosity of a headache took over my life and rendered me lifeless on the couch in and out of consciousness. It's ok, I think I've made a full recovery.

Back to Saturday. I didn't really have a plan. I had no idea how I was going to get 12 miles in without going to CP. But I didn't want to go to CP. That was time on the train I didn't feel like wasting. It was already going to be a long enough morning. So, I left the apartment with the notion that there had to be a way I could run along the water on the southeast part of Manhattan. As I ran over the Williamsburg Bridge I saw it! A path people were running and biking on. I just had to figure out how to get there. . . .
(ps- just run up to Houston and go east)
Jackpot! 
Hello there, WB! 
Sidenote, I totally love that you have to actually walk/ bike over the WB to know it's pink :-)
  It was such a great view and I was stoked to run.

The weather felt great and I noticed water fountains and public bathrooms- score! But as I started getting further uptown, I noticed none of that. My awesome idea, along with the running path, was slowly diminishing as the miles clocked on. I finally decided to turn around once I hit midtown. I had to buy a $2.50 gatorade at the lone gas station and didn't hit "civilization" for a couple more miles. Once I did, it was nice. Water fountains and public restrooms (even as scary as they were)- what more could a runner ask for?

Now comes the re-entrance of the WB. I swear that bridge is so damn hot it's redonk! Half way up the ramp, I felt myself stop sweating and get chills. What a more perfect spot to possibly have something bad happen . . not. . .so I stopped and walked. When I tried to run again my hip seized up. .  . so I had to walk the rest of the way. Boo.

I was so over my run. I realized all my runs were going to end like this from now on. The higher I get up in miles, the more the last couple of miles are going to suck. I had to keep reminding myself that I loved my run up until that point. 

How do deal with a run ending bad but overall being good?

4 comments:

  1. Oh man!! That stinks that it ended on such a down note. But yay for finding a good path with restrooms & water fountains. That is always a plus in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I feel like it's a must. No bathrooms, No water fountains, no running for me!

      Delete
  2. I feel like my runs are the opposite. Sure I am tired at the end, but when I hit the new miles (like the last 2 of my 22 which were all fresh to me) I feel like I get excited and start running better. I guess my mind wants me to feel like a rock star for hitting new territory or something. BUT I've also had runs that did end well but I still felt they were bad becuase of stuff that happened in the middle. Like when I pause my Garmin to go potty or refill water. I feel so guilty about that. I shouldn't. I mean I'm not racing, it's just training. But anyway, things like that seriously get to my head and I hate it.

    ANYWAY, your running areas seem so cool!!!! I'm sure living there it all gets to be old and the same ol' thing, but for this reader it's awesome seeing photos of places that really I just see in TV shows or movies - but you are really there and running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to think. I never thought of it like that, maybe now mine will be better? I hope! I hate thr forgetting to turn my Garmin back on too but the middle is usually my fav no matter what.

      Every time I see something like this, I think of you. haha! It's fun and when I 1st moved here it was a bigger deal, but like any place, it's just where I live. Taking pictures reminds me that it is pretty awesome. . even if it wants to suck the life of your soul away! haha. j/k. . or not.

      Delete