Sunday, December 8, 2013

Glass Slipper Challenge: week 9


Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 2M

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 2.5M

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 4M

Sunday: Rest

Getting back into it means I'm exhausted- and I hadn't done much! I literally fell asleep on the couch after the gym on Tuesday. It was hard to wake up on Friday after Thursdays workout as well. I just read in Runner's World that it takes the same amount of time you were not training to get back to the level you were before you stopped. I give myself another week (or two!) before I really start pushing. 

I've always been a fan of winter training, but I forgot about some perks. It's nice to be able to go run at any time of the day, instead of that small window before the sun comes up. Yesterday, we decided to go see Frozen again (it was such a good movie, I was willing to sit in a theater to see it twice!We went to the first showing before B had to go to work, and I didn't get to my long run until about 1pm. And that was totally cool because the sun was out and it's a down week, so I only had 4 miles! The one down side to running midday is the city is awake and more people are on the sidewalks. But I'll take it if it means I can sleep in! I was a little sad that I missed the Jingle Jog but PIC isn't in town and I wasn't going to be a Christmas ballerina by myself. Maybe next year! 

I'm also a fan of fleece-lined apparel. This concept is new to this southern girl and I'm a little obsessed with it. Although, I might need a new pair of my winter tights, because the ones I have keep falling down and it would be nice to have a pair with pockets. I still don't understand the concept of any type of running bottoms without pockets, but that's another story. Anyway, what's your favorite winter bottoms (with pockets, preferably)?

I've also come to the conclusion that my feet are the most fickle things ever. As soon as a marathon season is over, they want nothing to do with the shoes I trained in. It happened with my Brooks PureFlows and now it's happening with the Ghost 6s (although, I was having issues with them before). So, I also took advantage of the awesome Cyber Monday deal at kindrunner.com and have decided to get the Saucony Rides per Pam's suggestion many many moons ago. I still have some miles on the Ghosts, so I'll keep them in rotation to make sure I like the Rides. And so the request for my Cinderella running shoe continues. . appropriately during Glass Slipper Challenge training. 

Have you found your perfect running shoe yet? 
What's your favorite part about winter training?

8 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to see how the Saucony work for you. I, too, was in Pureflows and now Ghost 6's. Mine was more a reaction to injury, not dislike. I LOVE LOVED LOVED the Pureflows, but I started to get horrible heel bursitis and achilles pain after a few months and regretfully switched to the Ghosts to get back in shoes that had more drop vs. less. I don't really love them though. They do the job, but the Pureflows were so comfy and cushioned, I loved how they felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I loved my PureFlows for my 1st marathon season, then when I put them back on after my recovery break, my feet hurt too bad to run in them. The Ghosts have been giving me calf issues that I've never had before. I will let you know how the Rides are!

      Delete
  2. What a solid week! I'm doing the unofficial Tink challenge and honestly I haven't ran since Las Vegas. My heart just isn't into it right now, and I know I am going to pay for it come race weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart isn't fully into it either. . . sometimes we just need to accept we need a break. Hope we get our mojo back soon!

      Delete
  3. Right now my favorite long running pants are the speed tights from lululemon, they have GREAT pockets! I also really like a pair of fleece lined ones I got from Under Armour recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely look into those, thanks! my fleece lined are UA, but I don't like the waistband.

      Delete
  4. I've had issues with my pureflows since I got them. Any distance of 6-7 miles (sometimes sooner) and they start to kill me feet, but I LOVE them I can't seem to give them up! I hate a love hate relationship with them.

    And is it bad that I had no idea what pants I run in? I just run in whatever leggings type pants I have. I should probably look into actual options lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I still have 2 brand new pairs of Flows in my closet, hoping my feet will like them again one day.

      Delete