Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Country Music Half Marathon

Have I mentioned I love love loved this Rock-n-Roll race?
I've decided I'm a fan of bigger races. I don't feel like I'm doing it alone. I'm also officially a running partner fan. I hope Anna Banana enjoyed her half because I don't think I'm going to allow her to stop running. For my own sanity.

The rookie mistake I rocked this time? The tank top I grabbed to bring with me was new and cotton. In my defense, what the hell is Everlast doing making things out of cotton? So, I wore a looser shirt and my sportsbra. Not ideal, but I dealt.

I wasn't really happy with my time, but given the heat and the hills- je-sus. those hills- I'm just relieved I finished.

Shall we start the story via pictures? I thought so.

Good morning! Us and the faux Parthaneon. 


Can you see the start line? 

Yea, neither could I. It took an hour to cross it. They started in waves  and blew a horn every time one went out. I was in Corral 30, so that's how many times I heard it over the sound system throughout. But there was fun commentary so I wasn't that annoyed.

 Oh, hello start line! 

Seeing as it took so long to get across the start line, I had to take a port-a-potty break and I lost 5 minutes waiting in that line. Besides that, I got stuck behind the full-blown walkers. I had to bob and weave to get back to at least close to the people in my corral. I didn't realize how nice it was to be around people going my same pace, until I had to get through those going slower than me. I will know better for next time.

Music Row
Confession? I had no idea that's what this was until Fred told me, 
I just liked the signs :-)
Also, if you didn't know, The Rock-n-Roll Series of marathons have live bands at every mile and a half. It was a really good break in the monotony, but we were in Nashville. Even though they have different genres of music throughout, the majority was country (duh). I laughed to myself about how much my mom and sister would've loved it, while I was cursing that I couldn't hear the techno from my ipod. 

I finally got to see this guy in person! 
He was hiding around a corner, so it was a nice surprise. I was struggling after mile 9 and he definitely helped me push through.

Remember when I thought I would cry throughout the entire NYC Half out of joy, but never did? Yea, this is where I broke down in Nashville. I quickly pulled myself together, though. I didn't want to loose more electrolytes than necessary :-) 
I don't know if it was the heat, the hills that mentally broke me many times, or actually being there and doing it, but I was an emotional mess. It was an experience to say the least.

I would also like to add, that saying about how it's hard to be depressed while running is true. It's also true that it's hard to cry and run at the same time, too. So, you have to decide which one is more important at that particular moment and roll with it. Fun times. 

What I looked like as I waited for Fred to finish his full. The biggest cons of this race: 1. Who decides to have the family meet up place on concrete in the sun? If I wasn't dying of heat stroke from the race, this surely would've done it. 2. Making the bag check even further away than the family meet up. Personally, I want my flip flops, my chocolate milk and my Biofreeze more than seeing anything or anyone after a race. 3. Where the hell was the chocolate milk?! 

and PS- for future reference, never sit on the ground after a race and expect to get back up, especially after your knees have been taped to ice. 

Finally!
I bought this skirt specifically to wear to the bar that night, but Fred wouldn't let me. Isn't it amazing?! A snakeskin running skirt, seriously?! That's ok. I still rocked the cowboy boots.
And the medal in Chick-fil-a.

Because I'm classy like that!

The next morning, two extremely attract guys got on the shuttle to the airport with me and I actually had something to talk to them about. I don't think I've ever had anything to say to extremely attractive athletic looking men before. Kinda crazy. 

In the airport, even though it was yet again an ungodly hour, everyone was talking to each other about the race. If you didn't know, the day after the race uniform is always the shirt of the race and that's how you know who you're allowed to geek out with. It was nice to know I wasn't the only crazy person who travels for races- there is an entire community! 

And yes, I will keep this medal in my purse for a week. I have to keep constantly reminding myself I did it. again.

The End.
(sorry it was so long!)


No comments:

Post a Comment