Friday, September 20, 2013

Happy 1st Birthday and Run Happy Islands

Last Saturday was all about new adventures and island themes, starting with taking the Path train to Hoboken, New Jersey! In the 5 years I've been in the city, I honestly haven't had a reason to go to Hoboken before. Don't judge. It was interesting to say the least, especially since the L train was a shuttle bus all weekend. But I made it!

As luck would have it, Megan's daughter, (if you remember from here and here) Chloe, was having her 1st birthday party the same weekend as The Rock-n-Roll Philadelphia half marathon. It was perfect incentive. So, we celebrated Hawaiian style (where her parents are originally from) complete with a food truck serving Hawaiian deliciousness! 


Then it was time to check into the hotel and brave the expo. Luckily, it was right across the street from where we were staying. The bib picked up area was super crowded, but we made it through super easy.

Have I mentioned I love the shirts?! 


Then it was time to play in the Run Happy Island! I had been looking forward to it since they changed themes from the circus. We got our passports and experienced all the native habits:

Feeling the Ride. 

Climbing Mountains!
(Hi, Pam and Sarah!)

and Gait, which I did not get a picture of, boo. 


Once our passport was stamped, we visited the marketplace to see what our souvenirs would be! Pam and I got a tote bag, Sarah got a tshirt. We had already won the sun visors from the mountain climbing. 

Full disclosure: originally, we just got our passports and went to see what we won. That's where I fell in love with the giant isolated tote (along with the foam finger, which they had run out of and wouldn't give me the display ones. Boo) and found out I needed to get all the stamps to win that. We saw the lines and vetoed the idea right away. But then we decided, what else were we doing? and had tons of fun. 

We walked around the expo quickly, but stopped to grab matching crown bondi band, headbands. There wasn't much time after that, since the expo was closing and they were kicking us out. 

#ALLTHETHINGS 

Amazingly, we got reservations at an Italian restaurant in the area for dinner and headed to bed early.

What's your favorite part of an expo?

10 comments:

  1. I love how Brooks is so creative with their expos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Island theme instead of a circus theme? Love!! And the tote is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! And the tote is really nice. I'm glad we hung out and got one.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this expo looks like a lot of fun! I've really need to get around to doing a Rock n'Roll race. I have to admit I'm usually a grab my race packet and go type of expo person, but that could be because a lot of the once I've been to have been so crowded! (Well that and I'm trying to protect my wallet from further damage!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, I'm like that as well. Originally, we took one look at the crowd and said no way! But we all decided what else are we going to do until dinner? So, we stayed and it was totally worth it.

      Delete
  4. So glad you had a great time at the expo! Brooks did the whole "Run Happy Island" theme at VA Beach too and it was a lot of fun. Funny side note: I actually saw that Gait bus ( wasn't that the one at the expo that had the treadmills on it?) Anyway, I saw that bus with the treadmills driving down the road during the race???? It was going the opposite way on the other side of the street of course, but still I thought it was odd. Oh, I have that foam finger if you want it. I really have no use for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I saw the Brooks bus on the highway leaving VA Beach 2 years ago. I didn't realize at the time, but it actually does travel.

      Thanks! I just think the foam finger would be fun for spectating.

      Delete
  5. I must be going crazy because I always think I've already commented on one of your entries, but then it turns out I haven't! I'm getting senile.
    Lol!

    That looks super fun. I haven't done an RnR in awhile, but considering RnR Arizona in January. I hope they have something similar. Nice swag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! I think they keep their expo themes the same for a couple of years- if not, you totally have to do it and report back!

      PS- I really want to do that one, one year.

      Delete