Sunday, September 29, 2013

NYCM: 5 weeks to go!



Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Body Sculpting/Toning Class and 2.5M

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 18M

Sunday: Rest

So, it wasn't as terrible of a week. . 

That body sculpting/ toning class really kicked my butt. Because of all the time I was spending in Times Square, I went to a different gym location this week (ps- I don't think I've ever gotten so close to my fitbit goals on non-gym days, than I have this week due to all the running from one side of Manhattan to the other. Literally). It has been so long since I had been to this location, they got new treadmills! I kind of fell in love with them and might have to go out of my way in the future to visit. But I digress. This class was insane. I knew I wasn't going to get my Thursday gym in, so I went all out. I definitely felt the after effects for days. 

And then there was an 18 miler. 

No one should ever follow my lead on what a training plan/ schedule for a marathon should look like- seriously. I knew this one was going to be painful. After the last 2 weeks' lack of training, it's a miracle I finished alive! 

Yet surprisingly, the run went really well. I started at 14th and ran up to the park for a couple of loops and then back. I used the time to think about how I would strategize the marathon. When I started mentally encouraging myself at mile 8, I knew I had to start thinking about something else. It was too early for that! So, I figured out what I'm going to wear. Next best thing, right? :) The last 2 miles, my knees were killing me and I had to walk. I tried the "3 more miles" trick my massage therapist showed me, but it only got me 3 more seconds. Boo. I was pissed, but then I started to look at it in a positive light; what if this happened during the marathon? What would I do? Well, I'd power-walk the shit out of it. . .and that's what I did. Granted, I'm really hoping to have time to train better and take care of myself before then. 

Originally, I was going to try to merge this long run with the Bronx 10miler- who knew the finish line was exactly 8 miles from the  3rd Ave L train?! It sounded like a perfect plan. BUT, if last year (or any of the times I've tried) taught me anything, I knew this long run needed to be sans race environment. Plus, I'm a really big fan of having Sunday to recover from long runs. So, even though I'll be getting my 2nd DNS for that one, I'm totally ok with it. 

This is what 18 miles looks like

And for some more good news is when it's not your first time at the marathon rodeo, 18 miles doesn't knock you on your butt like it used to. I'm still in pain and spent the rest of the day on the couch, but it was nice to know I wasn't a complete zombie. 

Next week's "down milage" will be spent running from villains at the Tower of Terror 10 miler. The 20 miler follows that and then the taper- holy cow where did this training season go?! 

14 comments:

  1. Nice job on the 18! I've found the same thing with the long runs- each marathon cycle has been just a bit easier to cover those distances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 18 miles! (You look way better after 18 miles than I do after 3, btw). That's fantastic that you were able to change your perspective and look at it in a positive light. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyse. It definitely wasn't easy but finding the positive helps a ton!

      Delete
  3. No way you took that picture after 18 miles. Why isn't your face a funny color? LOL My face always turns tomato red about 2 minutes into any run, regardless of how good I'm feeling.

    Great job on the run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, I walked the last 2 miles and it was a cool day ;) Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on a great run! NY will be so awesome!!! I just finished my last 20 miler last weekend...and now I'm in full on taper...so just a few more weeks and enjoy the taper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YaY!! I'm so jealous. Can't wait to hear how Chicago goes!

      Delete
  5. Way to push yourself through those 18 miles...you did great!! :0) I love your strategy...especially planning your outfits while on the run. Sounds like something I do...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job on the 18 miles!!! Goodluck on your runs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun at Tower of Terror! And yes, I totally agree, 18 & 20 miles really kicked my butt during my first round of marathon training, but it doesn't seem quite so bad not - not all together pleasant, but not terrible. : )

    ReplyDelete