Sunday, April 17, 2011

It's Boston weekend.

Last year this time, I was shipping up to Boston to watch my very awesome marathon maniac best friend make Heartbreak Hill his bitch. It was the very first marathon I had ever seen and it was the breaking point of making running a reality (even though it took 6 months for me to actually start).  

When I first moved to NYC, the marathon went right in front of my apartment. My roommate and our neighbors went out to watch it, but I opted to sleep. I never understood the need to watch people run and definitely not that early on a weekend.

Until I saw it in Boston.

If you've never gone out to watch a marathon, I highly recommend you put it on your to-do list. The energy is insane. I had never experienced anything like that in my life. It's the equivalent of a Mardi Gras parade crowd (complete with lawn chairs and ice chests) and everyone is cheering. Cowbells are ringing music is playing and everyone is having a good time.
You can't help but get goose bumps, or maybe that's just me.

I met a girl on The T on the way to the race who was telling me about her Boston cheering experiences. They were so inspiring. She and her friends always position themselves right after Heartbreak Hill, where runners need the most support, and every year she leaves the race hoarse. 
I didn't go all the way there with her (because I was scared if I went too far from the train, Fred would beat me back to the finish line, which he almost did). But where I ended up watching, there was a group of drunk frat boys across the street and they were awesome. They made my race experience better and I'm sure they helped a lot of people who actually needed it. 

I saw runners in costumes, runners having a blast and it was just mind blowing to me that these people were still alive and in good spirits after rockin out 24 miles. If they could do it, I could do it. 
Now, let's not get crazy. Boston will never be on my to-do list, but a full? That's possible.

Since I can't be there this year, I will send my love from NYC, while I watch it on the internets and get my txt message updates. Best of luck to all those running, especially to my own personal Superman BFF, who is doing it again this year! 

Have you seen this yet? I have giggled a thousand times.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Boston! My ex went to Wellesley and I always made sure I was a participating member in the Wellesley Scream Tunnel! I have 3 t-shirts to show for it :-) Happy days!

    ReplyDelete