Sunday, August 11, 2013

Dumbo Training week 15



Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Hill Repeats

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 5M on summer streets! 

Sunday: Rest

Super looooow week. I made plans for Thursday after work, so I was going to make it up on Wednesday, but that didn't happen. I think because I got up in a significant amount of miles so early in the training, I'm starting to get a tad, I don't know- bored? I feel like I know I can do it, so when do I get to taper? Maybe the up and down weeks aren't as great as I originally thought? Maybe I'm over-thinking because I skipped a run this week? Or I'm just semi-cranky because I didn't get a nap in.

I'm also freaking out about my slow pace, so I'm trying to kick myself into gear with the hill repeats and interval training. I don't know what all the 800 Yassos and 10k paces are. I only know I have one speed and that's slow. I want to figure this stuff out to improve because it sucks being nowhere near my PR pace. But I feel like once it's time to fully focus on NYCM, that's going to take a backseat to me just getting the miles done. NYCM is another reason I don't want to push myself too much during Dumbo. I can't afford to get injured for the sake of a PR when the whole point of Disney races is to enjoy. See how easy it is to kick it into auto-pilot right now?

But the good news is I did work on my drinking training. Seriously. Alert the media. For the record, I don't remember it being so depressive- or am I doing it wrong? Call me crazy, but if I'm going to waste calories on alcohol, I want there to be dancing and FUN involved. FUN is not sipping a drink on a barstool all night. Dinner and drinks with friends is supposed to be the mature thing to do, but all I do is zone out and want to fall asleep. If I want to have good conversation, I'll have it sober. I remember it better and my mind doesn't wander. Can someone please explain to me the point of alcohol and promise not to tell my college self I'm asking? Or maybe this is why I'm cranky?

Someone please tell me they had a better week! 

14 comments:

  1. I'm with you... I usually let Disney races stay fun races and not push for a PR. Don't worry about your pace, you're out there to have fun and enjoy! :0) Sorry you had a rough week...you'll bounce back this week! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the key to having booze is to have enough to get past the sleepy stage, but not enough to get drunk. If you figure out that magical middle place, let me know. I had a glass of red wine yesterday and couldn't stop yawning! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I think wine is the one that makes me sleepy. I need to figure it out soon, there will be a lot of Dumbo celebrations!

      Delete
  3. Everyone has times like this...it was me 2 weeks ago but I think you'll be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Champagne, my friend. Slow and steady. Get your liver ready for DL, young lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying! You see what happens! I need tips from the pros ;)

      Delete
  5. I can't believe its so close to Labor Day Weekend. I'm stressing myself out over everything EXCEPT for the actual runs. Traveling cross-country always gets me.

    And knowing your alcohol history like I do, I'm guessing it was what you were drinking. Was it Captain & Diet? Captain is more synthetic. You'd do better with something more natural, like Bacardi. Or even something purer post-distillation, like a higher-end Vodka. And if you were drinking wine, you have to get past the groggy stage. One to two glasses makes me sleepy, faster. Three makes me happy. Anything more than 4 knocks me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacardi is gross. Capt takes so much better, but I haven't had it since I gave up soda. It's very hard to drink when you won't drink the mixers. I guess I have to do shots, right? :)

      We were drinking wine; like grown-ups, remember?

      Delete
    2. How about using just plain soda water as a mixer? That has no calories and just a tad of sodium, but if you use a liquor and a citrus with it (lemon, lime, etc), you get the benefits without the exorbitant calories. It takes some getting used to, but its manageable for the desired effects.

      Delete
    3. I will have to try that! Although, it does sound daunting.

      Delete
  6. I've been feeling the same - I cannot find speed at all!! But slow and steady wins the race, right? Haha - usually when I drink alcohol there is a beach and an umbrella involved!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like Slow and Steady will be winning this race and post-race there is a pool with an alcoholic beverage and umbrella? :)

      Delete