Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer Streets 2013: 2nd weekend

Read about 2012 summer streets here:

I'm pretty sure the best part of summer training is the 3 Saturdays in August where they shut down Park Ave. from 72nd st to the Brooklyn Bridge for a massive running route; also known as NYC Summer Streets! 

Since I only had 5 miles on the schedule, I started my route at Union Square and went downtown. As I was waiting for my Garmin to find satellites, I was noticing more and more runners coming from uptown. It was only 7:30 and it was already getting crowded. Last year I did find myself more on the uptown end of the streets, and that part was usually quiet for a bit. But I guess that's what you get when it's a beautiful day. 


In previous years, I hadn't gone lower than the REI rest stop. For this run, I was excited to go half way across the Brooklyn Bridge- I hadn't done that in awhile. Once I was on it, I remembered why. The path is super narrow (only about 4 people wide) that bikers, runners and pedestrians going in both directions have to share. I noticed the cyclists and the runners were very good about single file and passing, but it was the pedestrians that were making things difficult. There were a few times I didn't feel very safe and I was really glad to be done with it. 


Training for Dumbo Double Dare photo stops!

I decided not to stop at any of the rest stops until I was on my way back up. I noticed many of them were just setting up, until I got closer to downtown. Waiting might've been a mistake. It was insane the amount of people awake that early- and not- running/biking! The REI stop was jam-packed with lines at every booth. There was a cute backdrop photo area I totally would've loved, but I didn't have time to wait. I signed up for a raffle and got a keychain flashlight for B (They were also giving out water bottles, but she would've killed me if I brought home another one) got a kind bar and was on my way out. 

On my way back uptown, I saw the aftermath of a kid who fell off his bike. I'm 99% sure neither he nor anyone of his family members were wearing a helmet. Biking in the city already petrifies me. Seeing obnoxious amounts of people without helmets, especially on citibikes, drives me insane! I have no idea how anyone could think that's a good plan. Wear your helmets, people! I'm pretty sure they still give them out for free at one of the uptown rest stops- which reminds me I still want one! 

Since next week is the last Saturday, I'll probably check out the uptown route. I wish my longer runs were scheduled for Saturdays so I could experience more of the summer streets but there is always next year.

Does your city do something fun for outdoor activities in the summer?

8 comments:

  1. This is really cool! I'm still holding out for the first time I run on NYC streets to be a first weekend in November. Maybe 2014?

    The only time New Orleans Streets are shut down for running is for a race. The local track club does do a cool Summer Series in City Park. Its a 2 mile run 4-5 times during the summer. They also do summer track meets once a month during the summer. I've yet to make it to either, but sounds like they could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try them out! Summer streets are a ton of fun!

      Delete
  2. What a neat idea!! Looks like you had a great time...love your Dumbo training photo! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running the bridge looks gorgeous! I really need to get into the city for the occasional run, there are so many great places - can you believe I've never even run in Central Park!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realize reading this that I always feel like you live in a movie. I need to come visit so I can make NY more real and not just a place I see in tv. And apparently I need to visit during August so I can run in the streets with you!

    Love your photo stop training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally don't encourage visiting in August, it's usually miserably hot. Or you can just run NYCM and see everything for yourself!

      Delete