Sunday, August 18, 2013

Dumbo Training week 16

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Chick Boxing and 2.5M Speed work

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Zumba and 2.5M

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 5M

Sunday: 12M

Remember when training first started and I was on a roll with a schedule like this? 
Whoah. I'm tired now. 

I was cranky allllllll day Saturday after the 5M. My body didn't feel right no matter how much I rolled or stretched. Do you ever feel like you want to crawl out of your skin after a long run? That's the best way I can describe it. It's not fun. Previously, I've only experienced if after 13M+ runs and it's usually when I don't stretch or roll as much as I should, but I was trying my best. 

I decided to only do 12 miles this morning, since I over did a couple of weeks ago. At 3:30AM this morning, I should've known it wasn't going to be good when I spilled my entire mug of coffee all over the kitchen. Talk about a way to wakeup. Luckily, I didn't have anywhere to be at a specific time. Normally, I give myself a ton of time to get ready slowly, so thank goodness for that! Could you imagine doing something like that on race day? Let's hope I'm getting all the negative out now. 

Since it was still dark when I finally got out there, I decided to run up 9th Ave instead of going all the way over to the West Side Highway. In the dark, that early, that isolated and by myself didn't make me feel super safe. I decided I'd turn to run there as soon as the sun came up, but it was still overcast and the sidewalks were empty, so I stayed. I checked the weather so I knew this, but for some reason I wasn't prepared to feel like I was swimming (flashback from The Princess Half!). 

Even though, I was feeling nauseated and unmotivated (not gonna lie, I walked the first 2 miles), it was quite amazing to see the transition of the city at that moment. This morning I was blessed with getting to see the city go to sleep and then wake up and it was beautiful. Whoever coined the term "The City that never sleeps" had no idea what they were talking about. The city most definitely sleeps. It's usually a slight moment and you'll miss it if you're not paying attention. I was definitely paying attention this morning. I think it's definitely an amazing moment every New Yorker needs to see- either going to sleep with the city or waking up with it.

Then I got to Central Park around the same time the NYRR 2nd training run was starting and the quiet peaceful time was gone. Boo. 

Could you imagine this coming at you? 

I tried to stay clear but I definitely got swallowed by a few pace groups. Thank goodness I was only in the park for a couple of miles, then I head back downtown.

New York, even your piers are eclectic.
A cruise ship, a battle ship and a pirate ship. . . 
sounds like the beginning of a bad joke.

I'm kind of bummed my training started out amazing and just went downhill from there, but I'm glad I'm getting some bad running times in, so they don't happen during the race. And speaking of, now it's officially TAPER TIME and I can start packing!

What's the most random thing you've ever seen on a run?

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm reading a lot of blogs today where women are training for the Dumbo or Goofy! I'm feeling so inadequate! LOL. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a sign you should think about doing it yourself :)

      Delete
  2. I find after a long run on the weekend I NEED a nap, otherwise I get really grumpy too... congrats no making it to taper time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! One day I'm going to figure out nap time.

      Delete
  3. Definitely ready to pack and head to Cali! Way to stick with it and take time to roll it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having flashbacks to when I was running around Greenlake and there was a 5K coming the other way!!! And then this weekend I was swallowed up by a group of junior high / high school boys out running. Crazy. Wait, we have to pack??? As much as I love traveling, I really don't like packing. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that feeling! Oh well.

      Yes, we have to pack! Sometimes I like it but it usually just gives me anxiety.

      Delete
  5. 3:30? oi. I so need to start getting up earlier. I do like the coolness of the morning. but 5:30 is the earliest I've made it thus far. but with the rising temps in the morning. I would mind heading out just a wee bit earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's super early, but I've been getting up so early on my long run days so I can be back before B has to go to work. It's a pain, but worth it in the end!

      Delete
  6. Oh man, DUMBO, DUMBO, DUMBO. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete