Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dumbo Training week 7

MON: Rest

TUES: Broadway Bodies

WED: Rest 

THURS: Revolution in Motion: Slip-n-slide

FRI: Rest

SAT: Aerial Yoga

SUN: The Portugal 5M

Holy wow, there is not a lot of running in there. As previously mentioned, this week was crazy life busy on top of already committing to mixing my workouts up! I wanted to get in a couple of more classes off my Classtivity passport before it expires this upcoming week, so I had to sacrifice my weekday runs. I'm very interested to see how the Portugal 5M goes (stay tuned!)

Revolution in Motion was another first for new workouts. It was just me and the instructor so it was a quasi-personal training session. Yes, slip-n-slide sounds like lots of fun (which it is!) but it's HARD. I seriously sucked at it. I already have terrible coordination skills, as in none. But the instructor was super encouraging and I felt really good about myself even though I know I was terrible. I really need to work on my core strength. There were a lot of moments of me looking at her like she was insane. I tried everything she showed me but they looked nothing like when she did them. I followed the class by going on our adventure to Jersey to see NKOTB, Boyz II Men and 98 degrees. Who knew throwing a jacket and a scarf on and you can look suburban housewife chic?! 

Saturday's Aerial Yoga really wiped me out! I'm glad I got to experience it, but I wish I wasn't so prone to motion sickness. I got through it, including my fear of ripping the silk from the ceiling with my body weight and breaking a bone. Seriously. That took pretty much the majority of the class. The instructor was amazing and helped me with a lot of it. She could see the sheer terror in my face and assured me everything was ok, many many times. I did ended up swinging upside down and even doing a flip! But when it came time for hammock work (Mermaid pose looked so cool!), sadly, I got super dizzy and had to rock child's pose. After class, I was supposed to swing by B's work so I could bring home her suit for her sister's wedding this weekend. Let me just tell you how not fun it is navigating the streets of NYC with a bad case of nausea holding precious cargo. I do recommend this class, but definitely be aware you might need to chill for awhile after if you're not used to being in the air or upside down for long periods of time.

As much as I like mixing it up, I definitely feel like I get more out of working out from my regular gym days, where I can take a class AND run. I also like the anonymity of the classes at my gym- at least until I can built more core strength and not embarrass myself- all. the. time. Or maybe I'm just set in my ways and miss my old schedule :) This upcoming week is going to be a little different again- I want to get in another class or two and I need to prepare to go out of town- but I can't wait to get back to "normal". 

What's a workout you want to try?

8 comments:

  1. Wow those classes sound like a lot of fun! I think it's good mix it up every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get motion sickness really easily, too. No Spinning Tea Cups for me! But an aerial yoga class does sound really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The class was cool, but be aware that it might make you sick if you go.

      We can be in the chicken Tea Cups. . . it's been many many years since I've gone on them.

      Delete
    2. I'll go on them if we don't spin. You and I can have our own tea cup while everyone else spins around, lol. I can't remember if Tara will go on spinning rides or not...

      Delete
    3. Agreed- no extra spinning and we might need to rest on a bench for awhile after, haha. I think the only reason why it might be a necessity is bc it's the 10K medal.

      Delete
  3. Look at you trying all the classes!! You are inspiring me. Once I move and find a gym I'm going to check out the classes I've been wanting to try but just haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, Emily! I know it's scary but it only lasts until the class starts, then I'm too busy trying to figure out what I'm doing to care!

      Delete