Monday, June 17, 2013

NYCM 2013 and a run-posal

In case you haven't heard yet:

I'll be running the New York City marathon this year.

I already had my automatic entry for this year anyway, thanks to marathon training last year. If you're a NYC runner, it's really not that hard to run 9 of NYRR's races and volunteer for one (that's how you get the automatic entry). It's actually quite easy when you're already training for a marathon; they have races pretty much every weekend in season. For example, by the time summer is over, I'll already have 7 races under my belt. After last year's debacle, the PIC chose to defer her registration to this year, since she raised money through TNT and did not want that to go to waste, which I completely understand and would've done the same thing. 

When I didn't tell people I registered right away, I knew I wanted to do something fun to tell my PIC. So, when I heard about The Spirit of the Marathon II screening, I checked to see if she was in town and decided that's when I'd tell her. The movie was a great setup and it was far enough after the NYCM lottery, for her to believe I really wasn't running it again (I know. It's so mean. I'm terrible).

Normally, her schedule doesn't really permit me to see her often, so it was perfect. I wouldn't be tempted to tell her (I can't keep a secret to save my life!). She had asked me a few times over text or a quick visit to run the marathon with her, but it was easy to change the subject quickly. As my luck would have it, I saw her a LOT before the movie. But I prevailed!

Apparently, "proposing" to your bridesmaids is a thing nowadays (thank you, Pintrest!). I researched a bit and decided I was going to borrow the idea. I decorated a plain pen box in ING-esque colors and put a purple Under Armour headband in the box (since she's raising money with TNT. Appropriate, no?).

So, for those that actually propose, let me just say, I can totally feel you on this. It's super nerve racking! Trying to figure out the perfect moment can be tricky. Luckily, she set me up for a perfect lead in . . . something about how it's ok that I'm not running it because we'll be training together anyway. . . that's when I told her Funny, she should say that, because I had something that might help her train, and I gave her the box.


It was a great moment and I'm glad I decided to make the moment special. I mean, how many times do you get to run your first marathon? :) Even though we ran 26.2 miles anyway, I'm really glad we're going to be able to finish the journey together we started last year.

Wish us luck; I might need it! 

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - what a cute idea!!! And that is so great that both of you will finally be able to run the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I'm glad we're getting a 2nd chance.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, that's the cutest idea! Wish I was asked to be your run buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikki! I'd totally ask, but you're too fast for me!

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited you're running it! Hopefully, we'll be in the same start corral so we can see each other!!!

    Also, totally cute "proposal". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YaY!! I hope so, too! We will definitely have to try to meet up before the start. Have you picked your transportation yet?

      Delete
  4. Oh, what a fun idea! And good luck with your training! I'm doing MCM this year, but hoping to do NYC next year!

    ReplyDelete