Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Summer Training: Hydration Vest?


Summer training is coming faster than I'd hoped here and if last year taught me anything, it's I need to have access to lots and lots of water and shade. Luckily, I've gotten the water fountain locations down in Central Park and even on the part of the West and East highway paths, but it's all the places in the middle that can get tricky! Sadly, I can't drive around and leave water along my route and I will only buy bottled water in desperate situations. What's a girl to do?!

So, this has lead me to think I want to venture out and get a hydration pack (and the fact that The Clymb has some of the Nathan brand on sale last week), but I have no idea where to start! I don't want to spend too much money on one because I know I won't be using it that often, but I want something with storage so I can get rid of my race belt and my handheld water bottle. I've been doing some research but I think it's going to have to be a personal preference and ultimately need to see in person. 


Jaime helped me narrow it down to one with storage but with zippers like the Camelbak's MULE.
(source)
(source)
Isn't is cute?! I'm pretty sure, just like anything having to do with long distance running, it doesn't matter what it looks like but how well it does it's job. Plus we found out, this is the youth sized and nothing about me is youth sized, but the adult sized looks a little big for running.

Help! Recommendations? Thoughts?

11 comments:

  1. Dude, just try it on! I'm no where near youth sized (except for my midget legs) and mine totally fits. Plus, it's cute. And that's really what's important. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. I'm going to try to get to REI this weekend. I hope.

      Delete
  2. A good hydration pack is key to marathon training and trail racing! I was gifted an amazing one earlier this year for my 25k, it's the Salomon Advanced Skin S-Lab 5 one. It's pricey but seriously worth it. I can barely feel it on my back, has a lot of pockets (a couple with zippers). I really like the thin straps in the front. These things last forever too, so I don't forsee having to replace it for a really long time. Good luck deciding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg! I will look into that one, but I don't want to spend too much bc I don't think I'll use it as often.

      Delete
  3. I agree you should at least try it on. I am pretty average size for a women, I think, and the youth Camelbaks fit me just fine. And it is cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? You have the youth too? I hope I can try it on.

      Delete
  4. I love how compact they look. I've never tried one but I've read good things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, too! Hope I can find one I like.

      Delete
  5. I am no help, I've never worn one (or even seen one in person). I've just recently started wearing an iFitness belt.

    I hope you find something great that works for you!

    Hey, I'm going to be in NYC this weekend, and I've heard there's a 10K loop around Central Park. Are there any shorter loops in the park, or should I just plan on back-tracking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha - I've dreamed of leaving water bottles all over my route so I don't have to carry them! :) That is cute! Hopefully you will find the perfect one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why water is an essential basic need for us?Why water is an essential basic need for us?

    ReplyDelete