Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Special Edition: WoW. Happy National Running Day!

Happy National Running Day! 

Running has taught me to love myself for who I am, which I've discovered is the ultimate key to happiness. If I hadn't watched my best friend run Boston or if I had dropped out of training with TNT for the NYC Half, I don't think I would be in the place I am today. I don't think I would've learned the true meaning of happiness or who I am. I'm thankful everyday I am lucky enough to realize that. 



Tonight in honor of the holiday, Run by Foot Locker in Union Square was hosting a run from the store. I signed up in the excitement of the day and then I realized: hello lady, you are slow. I debated for most of the afternoon if I was actually going to go, but in the end I went. I'll be honest, after I checked in and got my tshirt, I almost snuck out of there. No lie. These are pretty much THE situations I dread being a slow runner.  

Luckily, there was a fabulous woman who was willing to slow down for me. We ran about 3.5 miles from the store to the Westside highway, up to 23rd and then back. Thank you, Baby Jesus, for creating crosstown red lights; that helped us sort of keep up with the group. 

Holy cow, guys, I did it! I survived to tell the tale after all that anxiety! I'm super proud of myself. On top of that, I didn't bring my gymboss and ran as much as I could- which means one walk break not counting all the red lights. What What?! And that my friends, is why I run. 

Did you do anything special for the holiday? 
Why do you run? What's one thing about running that scares you? 

6 comments:

  1. Great job, Abby! I have the exact same anxiety when it comes to running in groups because I'm so slow. I'm so happy for you- sounds like you had a great experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaime! It was good, but I'm sure the anxiety is going to get to me again the next time I decide to do something like this.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done. Congrats on overcoming your biggest challenger ... fear. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for you!!! I'm so the same way - I hate doing group runs because I'm the slow one. And only one walk break? Rock star!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to start a running group specifically for slow runners because of this.

      Thank you!

      Delete