Friday, October 25, 2013

2014 NYRR updates

NYRR sent out an email last week that made me really excited for winter races! 

(source)

Good news: All races in the 5-borough series will be treated equally in 2014 as far as medals and tech tees are concerned! They're even considering changing the Bronx 10miler and the Queens 10k distances. Personally, I'm a fan of the different distances- it's easier to convince new running friends to run 10Ks with medals than a half marathon. 

(source)

A big change for 2015 is the NYC Half will replace the Manhattan Half in the borough series. I think is an awesome plan seeing as they're both run in Manhattan, but The NYC Half has the better course and better weather. A Half marathon in January consisting of 2 loops of a snow covered Central Park always sounded like punishment to me- and I LOVE winter races. But to each his own. Now, you can celebrate Manhattan with one loop of the park and a run through Times Square! 

(source)

But the Manhattan Half will not be going out without a bang. The 2014 race will be celebrating Fred Lebow- including his awesome signature bike hat instead of a tshirt for participants. I'm still jealous of everyone who got one for the Brooklyn Half last year. I just might have to register for this one. It's scheduled on the date my Glass Slipper Challenge training schedule has a 12.5 run- what's another .6miles with a medal and an awesome bike hat?! 

When I first started running and heard about the series (which at the time were all half marathons) I couldn't fathom running the half marathon distance and NOT getting a medal. Since then, I've trained for multiple marathons which included many longer than 13.1 miles that did not include a medal and I've even run multiple loops of the park! Although, I am not a fan of running up and down Harlem Hill more than once, I'm now considering races with the hill in them twice (hence, The Manhattan Half) See what happens when you progress as a runner?

And just in case you're not into the glitz and glamour, NYRR will also be offering no frills races, which will include $10 entry fee for members and no shirt. To be honest, I think this is an awesome plan. Yes, I like running for the swag, but how many white cotton tees do I need for 4 mile races? 


They also announced March 16 is the official date for the NYC Half. Thanks to volunteering for the NYC Half last year, I have guaranteed entry! If you'd like to join me for this awesome race, the lottery just opened. I'm not sure if they'll still be offering guaranteed entry to volunteers on race day, but they did mention that running 4 of the 6 borough races in 2014- The Manhattan/ Fred Lebow Half, The NYC Half, Brooklyn Half, Queens 10, Bronx 10miler and Staten Island Half - will get you guaranteed entry into 2015 race. Seeing as this is my anniversary half and all the awesome changes they've made to the series, I might just have to do them! 

7 comments:

  1. I refer to the hills in Central Park as the Hills of Doom! I did the woman's fitness half this year and while I loved the concept (woman's focus raced), loved the timing of it and LOVED the shirt, I did NOT love 2 laps around Central Park...it's the only reason I'm not going to do it again. I hope they don't change the distance of the Queens 10K! I love the Queens race because it is 10 minutes from my apartment, but running a half marathon in July is not appealing at all :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CP hills are pretty intense. That's exactly why I won't do the Women's Half!

      I agree, July in NYC is not an awesome time for a Half.

      Delete
  2. Every time I get an NYRR email, I'm sad I don't live closer! This series looks like a lot a fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan of the series. You really should fly in for one of them- I suggest the NYC Half or the Brooklyn Half.

      Delete
  3. Hi Abby, everything I've read about previous years' Manhattan Half is that there is no medal. I'm from out of town so I like there to be medals for out of town races but I'd really like to do this race. Did the email say for sure there would be a medal for 2014 Fred Lebow Manhattan half? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! From what I've read, the Fred Lebow Half will NOT have a medal- a bike hat instead. I'm sorry :(

      Delete
  4. Hi Abby, everything I've read about previous years' Manhattan Half is that there is no medal. I'm from out of town so I like there to be medals for out of town races but I'd really like to do this race. Did the email say for sure there would be a medal for 2014 Fred Lebow Manhattan half? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete