Sunday, October 13, 2013

NYC Marathon: 3 weeks to go!




Monday: Walked around the Food and Wine Festival! 

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Half of a Zumba class and 3M

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 20 Mile 10K

Sunday: Rest

This was a weird week. I feel like I did more, but the facts are right there. Travel always messes with me like that. So does heat and it was hot in Florida! But I digress.

Thursday, I got frustrated with Zumba so I quit the class half way through and went to run on the treadmill. I've never done that before and I usually always enjoy the class even if there is a routine or 2 I'm not a fan of. It's a perfect warmup for running when I don't want to. But this class just wasn't working for me. Every routine seemed to be focused on gyrating in one way or another. I'm sure that's beneficial somehow, but this white girl wasn't having it. Then my 3 miles sucked, but I decided that was ok. You have to have the crappy workouts to appreciate the good ones, right? 

I still wasn't sure I was going to rock the 20miler until I woke up that morning. I reallyyyyy didn't want to. I knew I hadn't been taking care of my legs as much as I should've been and I knew it was going to be painful, specifically my knees. Spoiler alert: I was right. It was definitely painful, but I pushed through. I need to focus the taper on stretching and rolling more. I don't remember hurting as early as mile 11 last year, or I've conveniently forgotten. I do know I took care of myself better last year, though. Despite all that, I feel a little more tired than usual but again, not total zombie-like. Cheers to no longer being a marathon training noob! 

Can't believe it's already taper time. I think I might be finally getting excited about this. Or I'm just getting excited about being able to just shorter distance races and enjoy them- I was completely jealous of all the people enjoying the RNR BK post-race party and everyone who gets to run the Staten Island Half tomorrow. Either way, there is excitement happening!

PS: An update on the government shutdown affecting the race, NYRR addressed it later this week.


10 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you Abby! Lets hope this year's NYC Marathon goes much better than last years, what a shame that was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, it better happen this year :)

      Delete
  2. So happy we all get to race still! So close, so close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was feeling like you a couple of weeks ago! And now, I'm already having race jealousy even though my race was just last week! I hope you have a great race in NYC! Let's hope the city will be happy for you guys to be back :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I know that feeling, too. haha! Thank you. Here's hoping!

      Delete
  4. I've sort of felt the same way about my marathon training this go round, just not really all that into it and pretty much excited for taper time just to not have to do any longer runs! Unfortunately as soon as I get though MCM it's time to start training for Dopey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I don't know how yall are doing Dopey training- hopefully running MCM will get you motivated again!

      Delete
  5. Man, every time you post about NYCM, I wish I was still doing it with you! Even if just so we could be miserable at the start together for hours, lol! You are really a rockstar, Abby, I gotta say. And I can say that with some authority since we've run a full together, lol! You're really good about sticking to training plans and getting it done. Wish I could be there for the finish celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, James!! This made my day. You rock and thank goodness for the internet and Disney marathons for bringing awesome people into my life!

      I really wish you were gonna be there, too (don't remind me of the terribly late start!) but it's ok! We will celebrate next year!

      Delete