Friday, October 18, 2013

Epcot's Food and Wine Festival experience 2013

This was our first experience at Epcot's Food and Wine Festival and now I can definitely understand why it's such a must-do!

We decided to dedicate our last day in Disney to the festival (with a ride or 2 thrown in there). Spoiler alert: We got to try all the booths we wanted with time to spare even with a rain delay! We were only eating, which I'm sure helped get through. In retrospect, it would've been nice to have another day or so to experience even more and maybe get all the stamps on our passport. For the record, this was by far B's favorite day of the trip and I don't blame her. Who wouldn't want to spend the day eating and drinking around the world?

Our first stop was the Festival headquarters, aka the old Wonder of Life Pavilion, mainly because I wanted to go in and see what occupied where Cranium Command used to live (ps- is it weird to anyone else that the Making of Me theater was showing a film about fermenting grapes?!) and it was nice to get the overall feel for the event.


All of the demonstrations, seminars, book/ bottle signings and meet and greets for the festival happen here. If any of that interests you, there is an agenda and I believe there is an extra charge for most of the events.
There was tons of cute merch, too! 

There are kiosks set up throughout the World showcase in case you want to grab a souvinor, but this is where the majority of any and every thing Food and Wine was. They had really cute women's cut shirts and even branded trays with drink holders to make your experience even more convenient.

This is also where we picked up one of the gift card bracelet they recommend you use. You could also buy them throughout the world showcase and refill them pretty much anywhere that had a register. It makes it quick and easy at the booths instead of pulling out your wallet and credit card every time. There is a handy-dandy bracelet to keep it at your fingertips, literally. It's also quite helpful for setting a budget for what you're willing to spend- it can add up quickly, especially if you're drinking as well!

sidenote: The bathrooms in the pavilion haven't been "modernized", meaning there were actual faucet nobs with a heavy stream of water to wash our hands. This thrilled us more than I should admit. 

Once we got around to starting our journey of eating around the world (remember World Showcase doesn't open until 11!), there were some seriously threatening clouds forming. My strategy was to get to The American Adventure before the sky opened up. I knew we could hang out in the Chase Lounge until it let up. This meant walking while eating as well, which wasn't bad considering most of the tapas size portions were manageable.
Pretend you also see the Seared Rainbow Trout with Bacon and the "Le Cellier" Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce. I totally forgot to get a photo, opps. Bad blogger.

Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise

Beef Empanda

Garlic Shrimp with Roasted Tomatoes

Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw
OUR FAVORITE!!

Ravioli Di Formaggia all'Emiliana 
(Baked Cheese Ravioli with Creamy Beef Bolognese Sauce, Parmesean Cheese, and Melted Mozzarella)

We pushed our luck with trying to go past American before the storm, but instead were forced to back track. We made it half way to Japan, when drops started to fall. So, instead we ran back to America and managed to get a funnel cake before the sky opened. I'll be making a separate post about the Lounge, but it was a perfect place to wait out the weather. Since this is Florida we're talking about, it was a quick shower and we continued on our way. 


Teriyaki Chicken Hand Roll

Baklava

Lamb Meatball with Spicy Tomato Chutney


Originally, after New Zealand, we were going to go back the way we came (instead of making the full loop), but since we were passing by the Refreshment Port again (first time around we got the pineapple fritters), I got an Orange Dole Whip for the road. FYI, the pineapple is much better.

Since, I'm a master at time management (or at least I got extremely lucky this time!), we had to time make one more stop. Did you know about the Disney Chase Visa members photo area in Innovations West? I just discovered it. It's a separate area to get character photos but you never know who will be there. We got to get a picture with Mickey and Goofy in our medals. Another part of the perk is getting a 5x7 printed photo for free. It's a nice little bonus if you have time, I'd suggest it!


a photo of our photo

Then, all too soon, it was time to head to the airport to end our amazing trip. 

Have you been to the Food and Wine Festival? What was your favorite food? 

13 comments:

  1. This makes me sooo excited for the festival! Can't wait for Wine and Dine now!

    Side note - how did you get the free 5x7? They have a Chase photospot at DCA too which Pam and I did, but I didn't know how to get the 5x7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need you to be on top of social media while yall are there, mmkay? So I can live vicariously!! :)

      They gave us a voucher that we had to bring to the front of the park in the photo center and that's where we picked it up. I didn't know about the DCA one!

      Delete
  2. You don't know how proud this blog makes me. For someone who eats to live (rather than lives to eat like me), you sure did right by the F&W Festival! I can't wait to do this 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should know better and can thank B ;) I thought about you the whole time. You're going to be in heaven.

      Next year, we 're going to add another day to the trip so we can experience more of the festival. It's definitely a 2 day thing.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I will please take a couple ... or 14 beef empanadas please!!! All of that food looks so good. The last time Michael and I were in Epcot, it was to finish the marathon. You look a lot better in those pics than we did at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tapas portions but I hate them. haha! I think yall should get back to Disney ASAP! to enjoy this time :)

      Delete
  4. I've NEVER been to this and SO want to go next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta do it! It was my 1st year and I'll be back next year.

      Delete
  5. OMG what a taste bud PARRRTAYYY!!!! Looks soooo yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, just when I was thinking I needed a Disney break, you had to go and post this! Thanks a lot, Abs! ;)

    Everything looks delicious. I really want to do Wine & Dine one of these years. Everything looks delicious... Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been a Disney Visa member for years and I had NO idea about that part of innoventions! Thanks! Will definitely check it out when I'm there for the W&D.

    And of course this post just makes me wish I was in WDW that much sooner...yum!

    ReplyDelete