Saturday, October 19, 2013

runDisney Happy Haunted 5k Trail run, race recap

The first official race of the weekend kicked off with the Happy Haunted 5k Trail race through the Wide World of Sports complex. This is a family fun run for everyone to enjoy. The race is an un-timed event designed for everyone to just have fun. No matter your athletic abilities, a runDisney 5k is a great taste of all that they have to offer.


I knew I wanted to get there early because the food court at the hotel didn't open until 6:30 and the standard resort rooms don't come with coffeemakers. I learned early on, they sell coffee at the start lines of all the 5ks I've done. This year, instead of the convenient kiosk right in front, it was in the concessions area. That was off to the side and if you didn't actively seek it out, you would've missed it. On our way in, I noticed the complex's rest rooms were open and we made a quick stop. Score! 

Once that was taken care of, we walked over to the line that was already forming for Mickey Mouse. He didn't come out as early as he did last year, but they did mention he would be taking pictures after the race as well. That was a nice bonus. Last year, he was at the finish line.


Morning, Mickey!

We decided last minute to change our costumes from Captain Hook and Tink Raw Threads shirts to Dee and Dum because who can resist a new Raw Threads purchase at the expo? I think I've created a monster, because B loves their shirts just as much as I do. Our bank accounts are not pleased. I can also say, I am a total fan of their tank tops, they run bigger than their short sleeved shirts. 

So, I know a lot of people are saying it was hot and humid. RunDisney even put out a heat advisory, but to me this was NOTHING compared to last year. I can safely say it was the most beautiful weather I've experienced all runDisney year. It was even a bit chilly at the start. I was perfectly content. 



The course was the same as last year but with one huge difference: Lots more entertainment! It started off with an appearance by the headless horseman (which sadly you couldn't see unless you were in Corral A) and it continued throughout the course. 


We even got to see B's favorite: Captain Hook! 

Scar, The Big Bad Wolf, The Brair characters, Prince John and The Sheriff from Robin Hood and the Grave Diggers were also on the course, but since we were walking and the lines were kind of long, we kept going. In retrospect, I wish we would've stopped once or twice more. It didn't seem like there was a big concern for sweepers, especially because the course was entirely on trails on property but we knew we should keep pace. 



Action shot!

Last year, the course was wet and muddy. This year, it was dry and dusty. I don't know which was worse! The loose sand and dust being kicked up made us extremely happy to see the track. 



Then it was time to be finished! We saw pirate Goofy at the finish line- and that was a must stop, then we raised our arms and finished strong. 



It was a great way to kick off the weekend. 

10 comments:

  1. So fun!! Congratulations! I've never done a RunDisney event though it is a bucket list item for me - coming from Canada it's a HUGE expense :( I'm glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice! You should definitely get down there for one of there events- they're like no other!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a blast! ONE day, I will do a RunDisney event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to see you at one! It's definitely a must-do!

      Delete
  3. Ha! I love your dual medal pic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too! :) I'm so glad I got to experience runDisney with her.

      Delete
  4. The 5k's are so much fun and so relaxed, I'm kinda wishing I had registered for the Wine & Dine one...oh well, next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Definitely next time! Can't wait to follow along, one day I'll get to Wine and Dine!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That does sound a lot better than last year. I mean I had fun last year - but the cooler weather is a plus, and I don't remember there being actual characters on the course before - just planted things. and the headless horseman?!?! COOL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading. I am running it this year and looking for all the information I can find. My first 5K was the Castaway Cay 5K and can't wait to earn another Mickey medal. :-)

    ReplyDelete